The United States no longer offers the LL.B. though some universities introduced a Bachelor of Science degree in Legal Studies that includes Constitutional rule, Tort Law, and Criminal Law within the curriculum. The Master of hammer-1537123_640Science of Laws (MSL) is also offered in several universities accredited by the American Bar Association. While the LL.B. was confer until 1971 at Yale University, as that time, all universities in the United States have awarded the professional doctorate J.D., which then became the usually standardized degree in most states for the necessary bar exam prior to apply of law. Various law schools converted their basic law degree programs from LL.B. to J.D. in the 1960s, and permitted prior LL.B. alumnae to retroactively receive the new doctorate degrees by returning their LL.B. in replace for a J.D. degree. Yale graduates who conventional LL.B. degrees prior to 1971 were similarly permitted to transform their degree to a J.D., although several did not take the option, retaining their LL.B. degrees.Personal injury attorney marysville

  • Eligibility of foreign graduates in the US

For the most part, foreign law graduates seeking admission to the bar in the United States will discover their LL.B. law degree does not of itself fulfill the core admission requirements of most states, thereby not permit them to take balance-1300334_640the bar exam.

The main exception to this is New York, where those foreign graduates who have fulfilled the educational necessities to practice law in another common law country through study at an approved educational institute, parallel in both duration and contented to the equivalent teaching at an approved U.S. law school, are allowable to sit for the bar exam. In addition, both New York and Massachusetts permit Canadian LL.B. holders to take the bar exam.

  • Situation within the European Union

European Union law permits European Union citizens with LL.B. degrees from one EU Member Position, e.g., Ireland, France, Germany or the UK, who practice law and who are qualified lawyer in one of these countries for three or more years, to practice also in every other member state. The real procedure to receive the respective national license is regulated by the member state and therefore differs from nation to nation, and temporary restrictions might in certain cases exist, but every EU member has to apply the horizontal-1010894_640relevant EU Directives to its own national law.

  • Alternative degree route in the UK

There are also conversion courses available for non-law graduates, offered as an alternative to the full-length LL.B. degree course. One such example of a conversion path in England and Wales is the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law), which takes one year to complete.

In the UK, as well as in other Common rule jurisdictions, the major approach to this is the Graduate Entry (undergraduate) LL.B. degree, where graduates from another discipline may complete the LL.B. as a second degree, although this may occasionally need taking qualifying law courses within the first degree to meet professional requirements in full. Therefore, it is not entirely accurate to regard it as an ‘accelerated’ degree.